I watched Moulin Rouge for the first time last night, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I loved how artistic and unique the cinematography was and how quirky the characters were. My favorite part of the whole thing is definitely the music, though. I can’t stop listening to the soundtrack. I loved all of the symbolism- “Christian” and “Satine,” the foreshadowing laced throughout, and the allusions to other music.
10. The hilarious villain and his moustache. Literally on point.
9. The singing moon! I love silly little touches like this, and I like that the whole movie is filled with artistic details that make it quirky and interesting. You can watch it over again and find something you didn’t see the first time.
8. The soundtrack as a whole and all of the composing throughout the movie is so beautiful. I think the music really grounds the movie. Throughout the movie, even if the visuals are funny or strange, you can really capture the story through the moods of the music. It’s so artistic and beautiful.
7. The gun hitting the Eiffel tower. I laughed out loud.
6. The Elephant room!
5. THIS MOMENT however short.
4. The beautiful outfits. I can’t believe all of the costumes that were used- they’re incredible.
3. The non-linear plot. I love that the death of Satine is revealed in the very beginning of the movie. It adds a ton of depth to the movie, even throughout the silly parts, and really helps to ground the movie where it could be lost as a comedy and guides to be a star-crossed romance.
2. Ewan McGregor. He just did SO WELL.
1. El Tango De Roxanne- Best part of the whole movie. The song will give you chills on its own, but the scene in the movie is incredible. The dancers are perfect, the editing is so intricate, and the singing is flawless. I just want to listen to Ewan McGregor sing this for the rest of my life.